18 November 2010

Prison alternative


I saw this in the BBC news today and it got my wheels turning. A woman was arrested for "tweeting", which is apparently illegal in China. I can't get that excited about Twitter myself, but my comment today really has nothing to do with the illegality of Twitter in China. Rather, I was intrigued by the sentence for the woman of "re-education through labor". Why don't we do that? Why is it expected in the US that if you end up in jail for some crime you committed, you get to sit on your butt and serve your time happily compensated with food, if you so choose? I'm a strong proponent of people in prison having to work to pay for their keep. This would especially make a difference if we banned capital punishment and replaced it with more life sentences. Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment