22 November 2010

How my bank kept me today

Props to PNC's customer service and the employee I chatted with today. She did a good job of helping me sort out my frustrations and end on a positive note. Of course, it also helps that I knew ahead of time exactly what was wrong and how she could solve it. And so that's today's life lessons. Amanda and I are both good at getting deals and negotiations from companies when things go awry but this is because we are good at expressing the two keys in a good customer negotiation: 1) how have you been wronged, 2) how you want them to fix it for you. It also helps if you can tangibly show them how they will lose if they do not help solve your frustrations.

After explaining my frustrations and double-checking to make sure there was no confusion on what made me angry and that there was no way to fix it (National City had better deals for small checking account owners and PNC started charging me a fee), I told her that I was withdrawing my money immediately if I would not be refunded the unjust charges I had received. She presented me with options for a free checking account (whereas I was before earning about 10c interest a year) and everything else was able to stay the same. Further, I was given a courtesy refund of the charges which they had technically legally taken from my account even though they had worded it deeply within their take-over contract and I had never known about it.

All in all, I'm still not sold on the bank, their customer service or their handling of accounts, but they have now at least kept me until the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment