19 November 2010

Parking Vultures


I think many of my readers know what I'm talking about when I talk about parking vultures, but let me just vent for a minute about how much I hate them.

It seems like whenever I get out of class and walk to my car there's always at least 4-5 cars circling the parking lot, waiting for the next person to pull out. They're desperate to get a parking spot close to their classes or work, even though waiting will make them late. This desperation translates into a cutthroat attitude about securing said parking spot. Worst case scenario is that 2 people see your spot at the same time and try to duel out for it as you're trying to pull out. Almost as bad is the case which seems to happen to me quite often.

In their over-exuberance to achieve their goal of a parking spot, these vultures will often overgun the spot and then brake hard. Then, as I'm trying to back out, instead of backing up (even though nobody else is in the aisle at all), they sit right up on my bumper and then get all impatient at you as your try and make a 9 point turn to get out of the mess that they've stuck you in. It's all I can do not to walk back and chew someone's head off for how stupid they seem when they do that. What stops them from backing up politely out of your way, grateful for the fact that you are giving them a spot? Nothing stops them except their greedy ingratitude.


Even when I'm just walking out to my car to put away my lunchbox and computer before I walk to a recitation or something, there will be people waiting, lurking almost, in the parking lot. They watch everything I do, hoping I'll get in the car and leave and then get all huffy when I shut the trunk and just walk back.

So if you're one of these... remember to be polite. People giving up their spot for you is a favor, whether you realize it or not, so respect them as they try to get out of your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment