25 November 2010

Blood and Running

I gave blood yesterday afternoon for the first time in my life. Thanks to Amanda for sticking with during the process and being supportive in helping me conquer my huge fear of needles. Props also to the nurse for making the process smooth and nearly painless. The needle sticking was easy going and it flowed fast and easy. It really means a lot to me to be able to give blood to help out people in need. I feel like I've really done something to make a difference, kinda like when I volunteered for mission building projects; it's a great feeling.

However, let me just say that running 5 miles today with the blood donation yesterday is much more difficult than it was last year when I was 2 days hungover. I figured the run would be a piece of cake after my 180 mile Pelotonia this summer and then the non-hungover system, but I was wrong. I felt completely out of energy by the time I'd even gotten done with the first mile and a half, and by 2 miles, I was nearly dead. I love to push my body to extremes, but today I couldn't do a thing. My body was shot, but after a solid breakfast, I'm already quick on the recovery for some family football and turkey this afternoon.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment