30 June 2010

Artist Review: Eminem

Eminem. When I was younger, we played a game where people's names were put onto your forehead and you had to guess who they were by clues or answered questions from the other person you are teamed up with. Well, the only way I ever got it was through the famous old Mars and Mars chocolate candy. M & M's... the far sweeter version, that's for sure.

I'm not going to lie. I like Eminem and I like listening to his music - sometimes. I mostly blame any rap music that I like on my Freshman year roommate Michael who only listened to rap, day in and out, in our room. He is responsible for my exposure to rap and for forcing me to listen to so much of it that I even know what I like and what I don't like.

For me, Eminem cusses too far much. He is too explicit and graphic for me and yet I love the way he keeps flow to his music and paints his points vividly. And then today I heard his newer song, ""Cold Wind Blows". Well, that's fine and dandy, in my opinion not a great song and I will never listen to it again. However, I made it just far enough into the song to hear him insert God's voice in. I feel like that's the epitome of blasphemy.

I like Eminem, but his songs are definitely 50/50 for me. I like some and absolutely dislike others. But "Relapse" turned out pretty well as an album, and "Love the Way You Lie" is a good song, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment