28 September 2010

"The Climb"


While listening to WNCI and some of their sound clips, this picture of Miley Cyrus came up beside the title of her hit song, "The Climb". Climb to what? Can you honestly convince me you've been climbing anywhere besides the high road to infamous celebrishame (I replaced my previous Dr. Seuss word with something more acceptable)? It's shocking how big a fall some of Disney's heroes have taken in their celebrity careers and in a world of lawsuits, don't you think Disney ought to be wondering about what it does to their name to be tied to people like this? But wait, they're still idols in American culture so that's just fine. Am I being down on them today, sure, but I find some people so disgusting I don't know how you'd listen to their music.

Please disregard the digression but I got rolling here and couldn't stop. This week's my birthday, yet another in what I hope will be a long list of days in my life. Amanda insists that I have a dinner and hang out with people. I probably seem a bit ungrateful for her enthusiasm for the special day, but I'm not really. I appreciate her thoughtfulness and love, it's just that it's difficult to spend another day in my life as the center of attention. But wait, you might say, it seems like I'm always trying to gather people's attention. Isn't that why I have my Ag Blog, and why I just linked to it? (Shameless plugging, lol) Isn't that I why speak my mind and tell people what I think in groups beyond just my private life? Well let me clear up the conundrum for you.

Being around large groups of people and spending social time in forced environments is not my favorite thing to do. My preference is for a much smaller, close-nit, personal interaction with people. However, I do firmly believe that this world should be a better place, and do firmly believe that I have the opportunity to be a part in its improvement. I also believe that the only reason I got to where I have in my personal development is through other people being examples for me and helping me along the way. Yet, I can't make a difference just keeping everything to myself and my friends. This is why I stand out and speak; this is why I take the time to teach those younger behind me and their parents. I want to capture people's attention so that they can see the example I try to be. Am I perfect, no, but I don't want to be. I'm happy being real instead and think that I can better contribute to others as a person who makes mistakes and enjoys fun. I would never be that way if it weren't for the fact that someone set a good example for me and I enjoy helping people and teaching things that I have learned. Take the time to teach someone something new every day and remember that you only got to where you are because someone took the time for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment