29 August 2010

Church this morning

I told Amanda that a blog is definitely in order about church, and as hers will be different than mine, I encourage you to read 2 opinions on the matter.

Today, we were early to church. Please, hold your applause. I know it's amazing that we were early, especially to those of you who have heard horror stories of us being late by up to a half hour after leaving earlier than required from home and getting lost in bad detours or bad weather or misinformation on church times, etc. Well, today we were early to church and that would've been great except it was because we got up an hour too early. I know this is typical on daylight savings, etc., but once again for us it was just another day of failing to remember what time church started. Instead we got to enjoy a little early Sunday am chill time at the 36/37 Starbucks before we headed back to the church. While I'm on the subject, I have to say that the Starbucks up there might look a little shady on the outside and rough because of a terrible paving job, it's a pretty nice place on the inside. I enjoyed just sitting and watching people and waiting for my coffee to cool off which didn't happen until we finally got to church.

When we walked in to church, I ran into an old 4-H advisor, which was cool and we got seated in time to see the processional (also rare). The priest opened with a redneck joke and that's where I pretty much lost my concentration for the next hour. "Why's a redneck murder so hard to solve? Because the DNA's a match, and there's a lack of dental records." This isn't to say he didn't make a nice recovery by tying this into God's matching DNA for us as children and then a need for humility in the sermon, but I still lost a lot of focus in exchange for new-found appreciation of the priest and church. I definitely feel like we are welcome there and that is a really good feeling after so much church shopping.

With that, I encourage you all to explore another beautiful day before we suffer through another exhausting boiler of a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment