16 August 2010

Advertisements

Today, I'm going to try and embed advertisements. Getting me started today is the Levi's ad I just watched with a guy walking across America.

I guess after watching this ad I was struck by two things. Advertisements have come A LONG WAY from where they were when I was a kid. And you think that's something, go to a flea market or a junk shop, or even Cracker Barrel and you'll see how much they've changed since your parents were kids. I don't think we're more complicated than people at that time, but we have so much more access to the global market that I feel like advertisers now have to take every step to gain the competitive edge. Sure, we still have some very stupid ads that don't make any sense at all such as this Dodge commercial I saw last night, yet the commercials are so much more complex than they were.


And there are all the great ESPN commercials. But with a sports dominance like ESPN has, then why do they even advertise in the first place? Of course you're going to watch ESPN, they've bought out all your favorite shows and they don't do the same crappy footage that networks like Big Ten play on TV. And while I was searching, I heard Chris Spielman tell why he came to OSU.


Here's a great example of terrible physics. I'm no physics geek by any means, but these kind of ads bother me a lot for their inaccuracies.

Sure, we enjoy making fun of accents and peculiarities about languages and cultures, especially how they are funny amidst our own culture, but this one is still my favorite. The rest of the company's ads aren't nearly as good as this one.


If you think about it, the ads that you're most likely to tell your friends about are either the really terrible ones or the funniest ones. So then, do you ever wonder if companies make awful ads just to grab more attention? Or are they just that unaware of the people they are appealing to to understand what will interest them. I can understand bad ads from the past when we had less discriminating taste, but if you can't advertise well now, then just use the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment