19 February 2011

The Trojan War

I'm not here to give a history lecture from the ancient past or glory in the beauty of woman who started the biggest war of its day. Instead, I'll entertain you with a short story on what happened with my computer the past few weeks.

Backdoor Trojan. Yeah, that sounded a lot worse than it turned out to be. Actually, the virus was determined to be only a low threat, easy removal virus by Symantec, but of course Best Buy was more interested in my money than helping me with their service warranty. It was taxing out my system running an external client's work, etc., thus I couldn't do anything with my computer because it was running for some other jerk. So I took the computer home and through my brother's guidance reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7. Reinstalling of 7 is about as easy as anything with computers get and within hours my computer was up and running; then the restoration of files began.

Well, it was finally the next day when hell broke loose on my desktop (I have since been informed that anti-virus software is essentially unnecessary on Windows 7, but I would have to say that I'm still skeptical and would rather protect myself again.. I started getting pop-ups from my new anti-virus software letting me know how much it resented AVG for trying to block websites. Apparently, it ultimately resented AVG's assumption at authority in the first place, even though it was the new kid on the drive. Well, AVG responded by increasing its aggressiveness in blocking sites that would normally be just fine, try Gmail for example? I started thinking this was getting absolutely ridiculous. I couldn't even browse the web because AVG was trying to block things that it never blocked before, and my new software started popping up asking if it could kill AVG.

I'm not even kidding that my computer broke into a whole series of un-mandated restarts at this point as the system fell out of equilibrium. 9 restarts later and my computer was begging for the kill switch every time it turned on. I finally gave in to the madness and let my anti-virus software kill of AVG for the last time and the fight was over. Well, over for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment