03 February 2011

Teamwork


My fellow blogger and long-time friend, Lauren is working with me on a volunteer project for the National 4-H Conference. "Working with" actually undermines the fact that we wouldn't even be doing this if she hadn't come up with the idea in the first place. Our volunteer role encompasses the selection process, training process and then management of collegiate facilitators during the National 4-H Conference in April. Obviously something like this takes a big team effort, but we're glad to be doing our part and I personally love being in DC in the spring.

Every once in a while when we work together we have to push each other a bit. That's when I passed the joke today about not pushing penguin or lemming style, but gently. I thought I'd share the analogy so it makes sense to more people.

Killer whales are one of penguins' fierce predators and one way that penguins are known to check for killer whales is by crowding the edge of an ice shelf and bumping one in for the name of the cause. Abviously, the above photo is pretty edited, like the shark with the helicopter, but I thought the cartoon was pretty appropriate.

And then there's the lemmings. There's just no real explanation for the suicidal insanity with which they all jump into the water and drown together. I'm not for jumping in a sinking boat just for the sake of the team as much as I won't shove someone off or throw them under the bus for my benefit.

But again, that's why we make such a great team together.

(credit to http://www.stevetierney.org/blog/?p=1935 for my pic)

No comments:

Post a Comment