09 May 2011

Supercalifragilisticexpialadocious

Yep, that's right, I went to see Mary Poppins this past weekend with Amanda and the extended in-laws, and I loved it. I grew up on the movie and have always been attached to the good magic worked by Mary Poppins who teaches kids to love their imaginations and to stop wasting time on obstinacy. Of course, that's probably also why my mom liked the movie so much and put it on for us to watch so often. Combined with the my favorite actor as a youth, that is Dick van Dyke, the movie was one of my favorites. I have to say I was a bit surprised by the ending being a tick happier than the movie, but the storyline was about the same, with great performers, a solid soundtrack and simply put it embodied my idea of a good time on a Thursday evening.

Life recently hasn't been a simple coast, but I can't really pretend that it's been altogether difficult. I'm cleaning up a lot of little things I've started and then also starting a lot of new things. Recently finished with my online class, I'm down to one class for the rest of this academic year and a couple of seminars which I go to. This opens up time for me to work on finishing old lab projects and the start uploading my proposal online which should be submitted to our IACUC this week. Then I will work towards finalizing my comp submission and internship plan for the National 4-H Conference with Lauren. She's been busy moving to a new job recently so we've had to put that off a bit, but I think she deserves a brief shout out for finishing her Masters like a champ - Congratulations!

Many of the people in our office are finishing in the next month and it's sad to see people go. This past week has definitely been a sharp realization of just how much work and life will change in the next month as we transition through the end of another academic year. My election as the future ASGSA president will mean I have a larger responsibility towards the new grad students, so I'm excited to be given new challenges too as this year rolls along. So hang in there folks, and stay tuned for a series of posts on their way to this page and some additional pictures on my Picasa album.

1 comment: