20 December 2010

Wasps in Christmas Trees!

Definitely not what I expected to read when I opened my latest ARS e-newsletter. In fact, it had never occurred to me before that Hawaiians (<-- crazy spelling) even wanted Christmas trees. Isn't it pretty contradictory to the warm weather culture there?

But regardless, I don't think I could get very excited about queen yellow jackets spending the holidays with me in the house. Probably more interesting is the claim at the bottom that even after they have found tree shaking to be ineffective, and yet it's still the industry regulation.

One final thought on this over-analyzed 1-pager: wasps are a threat to the local bird population? You mean those little things that I chased around with a bat are threatening the birds that I couldn't even get close to as a kid? Ecological balance is astonishingly fragile sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if you knew this, but my assistantship has me doing research for the ARS...

    ReplyDelete