13 April 2011

Soap Cartel

I was browsing the news today for the first time in a couple of weeks and sifting through the wars overseas and the budget that isn't even conceivable anymore, I found an article on Proctor and Gamble which quickly caught my attention. It's not that I have anything against the company, any more than I have something against ivy league universities, but the elitist experience is hard to shake off and P and G is sadly intertwined in my memory in this way and it will take a long time to clear that up.

When I lived in Europe there was a general trend to wash everything in one load, or more often not even to wash clothes that often in the first place. At first I thought it was laziness until I went to the store and couldn't find detergent in any type of affordable price range. I couldn't believe the cost of detergent and quickly converted to this one load fits all mentality. Reading about P and G being fined hundreds of millions for a soap cartel helps me picture just how screwed up the soap industry is over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment