14 April 2011

First Visit to the National Zoo

I thought it'd be fun to take a short break from my studies and elaborate on one of the new things I saw this year when I went to DC with Amanda. The National Zoo is quite different from the Columbus Zoo in a number of ways, and yet I think that I would put both of them on a comparable level as far as quality of zoo.


For starters, the Columbus Zoo is a much bigger zoo, spread out with more walking and bigger exhibits. But the National Zoo does a great job of utilizing the space they have with exhibits that maximize viewing area and allow the animal to behave in many ways it would normally. As an example, I include pictures of the lions and tigers who are housed inside (undoubtedly in small pens) but are rotated on exhibit outside so that they get the opportunity to exercise and do their own thing.

They also used the hill to shape their zoo and put multiple levels into it. The whole idea was very similar to the things I see on Amanda's now mass-recorded House Hunter's show on TV. Many of these shows highlight the methods that people use such as coloring, lighting and multiple levels to turn small houses into places that feel and function big. The pandas were tucked back into a cove, and the elephants even had a bridge over them which I thought was pretty sweet. There seemed to be a real focus on animal enrichment even though the facilities were smaller and the habitat development was really impressive. Of course, this is the national zoo after all.

The best thing a zoo can do for impressions though is to be visited on a beautiful day. A bit breezy and chilly, but the sun was a welcome change to dreary Ohio, and all the animals seemed to agree. In fact, the red pandas were apparently having too much fun for children, but that didn't stop people from crowding around and trying to see in the exhibit anyhow. I thought the sign was pretty straightforward and Amanda and I headed straightaway to the real Pandas anyhow. All in all, the zoo was a great experience and it was a fun place to visit for the first time with an old friend and Amanda. I swear I could go to zoos all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment